Submitted by Aurora School District 129
Civil rights icon Julian Bond will be the special guest speaker at Aurora's annual tribute to Martin Luther King Jr. at 6:30 p.m. Monday, Jan. 20, in the West Aurora High School auditorium, 1201 W. New York St., Aurora. Enter door 18. Admission is free.
Contact information ( * required )
Hailed as one of the most prominent youth leaders of the Civil Rights movement, Julian Bond was a young student at Morehouse College, King's alma mater, when he came under King's tutelage.
From helping to establish the Student Non-Violent Coordinating Committee at age 20 to being elected to the Georgia Legislature at age 25 to being appointed as chairman of the NAACP, Julian Bond's 50-year career as a voice for equality and inclusion is filled with stories of hope and healing.
The annual celebration will feature the West Aurora High School Jazz Band, the East Aurora High School NJROTC, Waubonsie Valley High School's Mosaic Choir, the Illinois Math and Science Academy's Black African-American Student Association, the Aurora Inter Faith ecumenical group of faith leaders, and the Sign Singers of St. John AME Church. Residents who performed community service during the 2014 Day of Service will be recognized and students recommended by their schools to receive "Service above Self" Awards will be honored for their commitment to service in our community.
Also, Jan. 20 is a day for high school students to participate in Aurora's annual Day of Service. To participate in a service project, a high school student should choose one of the service options below and register by calling (630) 421-0600 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with the commitment time and location and a phone number or email address where the student may be reached. On the night of the event, students who participate in a service project should check in at the volunteer station to receive their service awards.
Other service options for Jan. 20 include:
• Aurora Public Library, 1 E. Benton, 9 to 10 a.m., 10 to 11 a.m. or 11 a.m. to noon.
• Countryside Care Center, 2330 W. Galena Blvd., 9:30 to10:30 a.m. or 2 to 3 p.m.
• Elmwood Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1017 W. Galena Blvd, 10 to 11 a.m. or 2 to 3 p.m.
• Farnsworth Rehabilitation, 1601 N. Farnsworth Ave., 10 to 11 a.m., 2 to 2:45 p.m. or 2:45 to 3:30 p.m.
• Marie Wilkinson Food Pantry, 834 N. Highland, 10 to 11 a.m., 11 a.m.to noon, noon to 1 p.m. or 1 to 2 p.m.
• McAuley Manor, 400 W. Sullivan Road, 11:30 a.m.to 12:30 p.m. or 1 to 2 p.m.
• Sci-Tech Museum, 18 W. Benton St., 10 to 11 a.m., 11 a.m. to noon, noon to1 p.m., 1 to 2 p.m. or 2 to 3 p.m.