Breaking News Bar
updated: 1/4/2014 11:46 AM

Four taken to hospitals after Rolling Meadows CO leak

Success - Article sent! close

Four people were taken to local hospitals early Saturday, Jan. 4, after a carbon monoxide leak in Rolling Meadows.

The Rolling Meadows Fire Department responded to a call at 7:09 a.m. from a fourth-floor condo unit at Saratoga Apartments in the 5400 block of Astor Lane, Battalion Chief Mike Ahlman said.

The leak came from a wall-mounted gas heater, sickening five people in one family, he said.

A 43-year-old woman and an 18-year-old woman were taken to Northwest Community Hospital in Arlington Heights, while a 7-year-old boy and a 15-year-old girl were taken to Alexian Brothers Medical Center in Elk Grove Village, he said.

A 29-year-old male refused transport, he said. All complained of nausea and dizziness, and some were vomiting, he said.

The level of carbon monoxide in the condo was at 274 parts per million, Ahlman said. Anything over 35 parts per million is considered dangerous.

Emergency responders left by 9:11 a.m., after ventilating the condo and registering carbon monoxide levels of 0.

The condo did not have a working carbon monoxide detector, Ahlman said. No other units were affected.

People should make sure their homes have working carbon monoxide detectors, Ahlman said.

"You can get leaks from gas dryers, water heaters, stuff that runs in summer, but generally you get more exposure (to potential leaks) with heating units," he said.

The Arlington Heights Fire Department assisted in the call with a fire engine and an ambulance.

Share this page
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.