Breaking News Bar
updated: 12/11/2013 3:10 PM

Cops: Third suspect nabbed in beating of man lured to watch Bears game

Success - Article sent! close
  • Desahaude L. Jones

    Desahaude L. Jones

  • Seneca L. Davis

    Seneca L. Davis

  • Derek M. Gordon

    Derek M. Gordon


A suspect on the run for more than a month was taken into custody in Mississippi on Wednesday for what authorities say was his role in the beating and robbery of a man who was invited to watch a Bears game on television in Round Lake Park last month.

Round Lake Park Police Chief George Filenko said he was informed the U.S. Marshals Service in Gulfport, MS, seized Desahaude L. Jones, 35, of the 300 block of Kenwood Drive in Round Lake Park.

"He was hiding out at his wife's cousin's house," Filenko said.

Authorities said Jones was taken into custody at the home that had been under surveillance by the federal marshals. Local authorities plan to seek Jones' return from Mississippi.

Felony charges have been lodged against Jones, Seneca L. Davis, 37, of the 600 block of Sunderlin Street in Waukegan, and Derek M. Gordon, 34, of the 2500 block of Village Park Drive also in Waukegan.

Each man is charged with two counts of armed robbery, two counts of aggravated robbery, three counts of aggravated battery and one count of unlawful restraint in connection with the Nov. 4 attack during the Bears-Green Bay Packers game.

Davis also had been on the lam, but was seized by Lake County sheriff's police and U.S. marshals as he walked from a girlfriend's home in Waukegan on Nov. 26.

Filenko said the three suspects and the 35-year-old victim from Waukegan are known street gang members and childhood friends. He said the victim likely was targeted for robbery because his family received a $250,000 inheritance that was split among them.

Authorities said the victim was invited by Jones to watch the Bears-Packers tilt in the Round Lake Park house. Officers noticed snacks, beer and what was believed to be cocaine and drug paraphernalia in the television viewing area when they arrived, according to Filenko.

Gordon and Davis were hiding in the home, Filenko said, but that changed when the Bears took a 7-3 lead at 9:48 of the first quarter. Police said the suspects pursued the victim just after he cheered a Brandon Marshall touchdown.

Police were called by a neighbor who heard a disturbance at the house. After officers heard muffled screams for help, they broke the front door and forced their way into the home, and found the victim on the floor naked with his hands and wrists bound and his mouth and eyes covered with tape, Filenko said.

Taken from the man was $400 cash and an iPhone, according to police. The victim was beaten with a metal pipe and whipped with a .38-caliber pistol that was recovered at the scene, authorities said.

Davis and Jones fled before cops arrived, but Gordon was captured, police said. Davis and Gordon are in the Lake County jail awaiting trial.

Twitter: @DHBobSusnjara

Article Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.