Breaking News Bar
updated: 11/27/2013 4:38 PM

Indictments in attack on man who police say was lured to watch Bears on TV

Success - Article sent! close
  • Seneca L. Davis

    Seneca L. Davis

  • Desahaude L. Jones

    Desahaude L. Jones

  • Derek M. Gordon

    Derek M. Gordon


Indictments have been issued by a grand jury in a case authorities say involved three suspects who beat and robbed a man lured to watch a Bears game at a Round Lake Park house.

Officials said criminal felony charges were formally lodged by the Lake County grand jury Wednesday against Desahaude L. Jones, 35, of the 300 block of Kenwood Drive in Round Lake Park; Seneca L. Davis, 37, of the 600 block of Sunderlin Street in Waukegan; and Derek M. Gordon, 34, of the 2500 block of Village Park Drive in Waukegan.

Each man is charged with two counts of armed robbery, two counts of aggravated robbery, three counts of aggravated battery and one count of unlawful restraint in connection with the Nov. 4 attack during the Bears-Green Bay Packers game.

Round Lake Park Police Chief George Filenko said Jones remained at large Wednesday, possibly in a Southern state. Davis also had been on the lam, Filenko said, but was seized about 6:45 a.m. Tuesday by Lake County sheriff's police and U.S. marshals as he walked from a girlfriend's home in Waukegan.

Gordon, who has a lengthy criminal history, remains in the Lake County jail on a $1 million bond, according to police. Davis is held on a $250,000 bond.

Filenko said the three suspects and the 35-year-old victim from Waukegan are known street gang members and childhood friends. He said the victim likely was targeted for robbery because his family received a $250,000 inheritance that was split among them.

Authorities said the victim was invited by Jones to watch the Bears-Packers tilt in the Round Lake Park house. Officers noticed snacks, beer and more in the television viewing area when they arrived.

"There was what we believe to be cocaine and drug paraphernalia present," Filenko told the Daily Herald.

Gordon and Davis were hiding in the home, Filenko said, but that changed when the Bears took a 7-3 lead at 9:48 of the first quarter. Police said the suspects pursued the victim after he cheered a Brandon Marshall touchdown.

Police were called by a neighbor who heard a disturbance at the house. After officers heard muffled screams for help, they broke the front door and forced their way into the home, and found the victim on the floor naked with his hands and wrists bound and his mouth and eyes covered with tape, Filenko said.

Taken from the man was $400 cash and an iPhone, according to police. Filenko said the victim was beaten with a metal pipe and whipped with a .38-caliber pistol that was recovered at the scene.

Filenko said a 14-year-old boy was in his room when the attack occurred, but was not involved. Davis and Jones fled through the boy's window before officers arrived, but officers seized Gordon, according to authorities.

Twitter: @DHBobSusnjara

Article Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.