Submitted by Woodland Community Consolidated School District 50
Woodland Community Consolidated School District 50 will host a Holiday Food Drive to help feed families in the school district through Friday, Dec. 13. The Holiday Food Drive has become an annual presence at Woodland for the last several years.
Contact information ( * required )
"Any donation, no matter how small, would be greatly appreciated. Our children and their families are the direct beneficiaries of the community's kindness," said Dr. Joy A. Swoboda. "Our food drive is a staff-driven, staff-initiated effort that deserves recognition for the amount of time and planning taken to organize this event each year."
The district is also collecting new hats and mittens and new or gently used books. Parents may send their donations to school with their child. Donations can also be dropped off at the Woodland Educational Support Center, 1105 N. Hunt Club Road, Gurnee, (847) 596-5600.
Donation suggestions (along with grade ranges for District 50 students/families to ensure a variety of items are donated):
• Canned meals/meat: spaghetti and meatballs, SpaghettiOs, baked beans, chili, ravioli, tuna fish, chicken, Manwich
• Paper products: napkins, facial tissue, paper towels, toilet paper, Handi Wipes
• Canned soup/stew
• Boxed food: Hamburger Helper, Pasta Roni/noodles, potatoes, stuffing, rice, macaroni and cheese
• Storage supplies: aluminum foil, plastic wrap, Ziploc bags
• Canned vegetables
• Pasta sauce/noodles
• Snacks: crackers, pudding, fruit snacks, animal crackers, Goldfish, pretzels, fruit cup
• Canned fruit
• Breakfast foods: cereal, oatmeal, pancake mix and syrup, granola bars, Nutri-Grain bars, cereal bars, Special K bars
• Cleaning supplies: window cleaner, multipurpose cleaners (Formula 409, Mr. Clean, Fantastic), dish soap, laundry detergent
• Condiments/etc.: ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise, peanut butter, cooking spray, salt/pepper dispensers
As part of the Nov. 26 board meeting, Dr. Swoboda will provide the Board of Education with a history and overview of the Holiday Food Drive.
"We are grateful to live and work in such a generous community," Swoboda said.
If you have any questions, or know of a needy district family who may benefit from receiving a holiday food basket, contact Dawn Luebke, Elementary East math specialist, at firstname.lastname@example.org.