Traffic map
Article posted: 11/14/2013 9:41 PM

Unattended candle blamed for Vernon Hills fire

  • Article
text size: AAA

A burning candle left unattended is likely to blame for a fire Thursday night at a single-family home in Vernon Hills, authorities said.

But the fire reported at 5:58 p.m. on the 1100 block of Warren Lane was extinguished quickly, and the home sustained only minor smoke damage, according to Battalion Chief Ed Heinz of the Countryside Fire Protection District.

Advertisement

Most of the damage was contained to a second-floor bedroom, where it's believed the fire stared. A mattress also caught on fire there, Heinz said.

The homeowners were able to exit without injuries after they were alerted to the fire by a smoke detector, Heinz said.

Firefighters needed less than five gallons of water to extinguish the fire, he said.

Comments ()
We are now using Facebook comments to offer a more inclusive, social and constructive discussion. Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.
Latest Video

MostViewed

Today
Yesterday
Most Commented
Top Jobs

    View all Top Jobs Place a job ad

    MarketsReport

    DHExtras

       
    • Newspaper next section - Newspaper next section Report card checker - report card checker
    • Dh innovation award 2 - Dh innovation award 2 Zillow /real estate page
    • Discuss refer On Guard series
    • Newspaper archives -- Monday or anyday Mike North

    FacebookActivity

    BusinessDirectory

    Connect with a business or service in your area fast. First select a town, then enter a search term or choose one of the listed popular searches:

    Don't see your town listed? Visit our full directory to begin your search.