Breaking News Bar
updated: 11/11/2013 4:15 PM

Feds seeking suspects in Round Lake Park attack on football fan

Success - Article sent! close
  • Seneca L. Davis

    Seneca L. Davis

  • Desahaude L. Jones

    Desahaude L. Jones

  • Derek M. Gordon

    Derek M. Gordon


U.S. marshals are hunting for two suspects believed to have fled Illinois after participating in the beating and robbery of a man lured to watch a Bears game at a Round Lake Park home last week, authorities said.

Arrest warrants with $250,000 bonds attached remain active for Desahaude L. Jones, 35, of the 300 block of Kenwood Drive in Round Lake Park, and 37-year-old Seneca L. Davis of the 600 block of Sunderlin Street in Waukegan, police said.

Police Chief George Filenko said Jones, Davis and Derek M. Gordon, 34, of the 2500 block of Village Park Drive in Waukegan, each are charged with two counts of armed robbery, two counts of aggravated robbery, three counts of aggravated battery and one count of unlawful restraint in connection with the Nov. 4 attack during the Bears-Green Bay Packers football game.

Filenko said Davis and Jones may have fled Illinois for Cartersville, Ga., northwest of Atlanta, because of connections there. He said the U.S. Marshals Service is involved in the case and seeking the two men.

Gordon, who has a lengthy criminal history, remains in the Lake County jail on a $1 million bond, according to police. Authorities said all three suspects are reputed street gang members who know the 35-year-old victim, a Waukegan resident.

Filenko said the victim was invited by Jones to watch the televised Bears-Packers tilt in the Round Lake Park house. Officers noticed snacks and beer in the viewing area.

Gordon and Davis were hiding in the home, Filenko told the Daily Herald, but that changed when the Bears took a 7-3 lead at 9:48 of the first quarter.

"So, (Brandon) Marshall scores a touchdown and they come out," Filenko said Monday. "That's when the whole thing starts."

Police were summoned because neighbors heard a disturbance and muffled screams for help. After officers broke the front door and forced their way into the home, they found the victim on the floor naked with his hands and wrists bound and his mouth and eyes also covered with tape, Filenko said.

Taken from the man were $400 cash and an iPhone, according to police. Filenko said the victim was beaten with a metal pipe and whipped with a .38-caliber pistol recovered at the scene.

Davis and Jones fled before police arrived, but officers seized Gordon.

Filenko said the victim told investigators the suspects may have wanted to kidnap him because they thought his family received some type of financial settlement. Filenko said the victim is back home from a hospital and doing well.

Twitter: @DHBobSusnjara

Article Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.