Breaking News Bar
posted: 11/9/2013 10:15 AM

Mundelein home home has $150,000 in damages from fire

hello
Success - Article sent! close
 
 

A Mundelein man suffered a minor injury early Saturday morning in a fire caused by fireplace ashes that had been placed in an outside plastic garbage can, officials said.

The homeowners were alerted about the fire in the 500 block of S. Lake Terrace by a Mundelein police officer who saw smoke in the neighborhood, the Mundelein Fire Department said in a news release.

Order Reprint Print Article
 
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.
Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.

Contact information ( * required )

Success - request sent close

The fire department responded to a 911 call placed at 2:08 a.m. and found heavy fire on the exterior of the home moving rapidly toward the inside.

The home's smoke detectors had just activated when the police officer arrived, the release said.

Wind gusts at 35 mph contributed to the rapid fire spread. The home suffered extensive structural damage estimated at $150,000.

The fire was in control by 2:25 a.m. and out by 2:45 a.m. Fire departments who assisted include Countryside, Grayslake, Lake Villa, Libertyville, Lincolnshire and Wauconda.

The man suffered a small burn on his foot while attempting to put out the fire, but refused transport to the hospital, the release said.

Fire officials advise residents to make sure fireplace or grill ashes are cold before removal. They should be placed in a metal container a safe distance from combustible materials or the exterior of buildings.

Share this page
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.
    help here