Ten Antioch Upper Grade School students were transported to a hospital Tuesday morning after taking prescription pain pills supplied by a classmate, authorities said.
The affected students were stable and in good condition at Advocate Condell Medical Center in Libertyville, Antioch Fire Chief John Nixon said. None had exhibited any symptoms or unusual behavior, Nixon said.
Contact information ( * required )
The school at 800 Highview Drive in Antioch serves sixth- through eighth-graders.
According to a brief message posted on the Antioch Elementary District 34 website, a student admitted giving a prescription medication to some friends.
District 34 Superintendent Greg Buchanan said he didn't know where the student got the drugs.
The kids took the pills at school, Nixon said. The exact location wasn't immediately made public.
Each kid took one pill, Nixon told the Daily Herald.
Police, fire officials and parents were notified about 11:30 a.m.
Because the dose was relatively small, fire officials weren't concerned about drug overdoses. But they didn't know the students' medical histories or allergies, so the kids were taken to the hospital for evaluation, Nixon said.
Ambulances from six area departments assisted Antioch crews at the school.
Following the emergency, Nixon said parents should make sure their medication is in a safe place.
The incident is under investigation by police and school officials.