Breaking News Bar
updated: 10/25/2013 3:05 PM

Geneva man guilty in West Chicago revenge stabbing

hello
Success - Article sent! close
  • Logan Baker

      Logan Baker

 

A Geneva man who admitted stabbing a gang rival in West Chicago was sentenced Friday to five years in prison but could go to boot camp instead.

Logan Baker, 19, pleaded guilty to aggravated battery in the July 22 attack on the 300 block of Wilson Street.

Order Reprint Print Article
 
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.
Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.

Contact information ( * required )

Success - request sent close

DuPage County Judge Robert Kleeman sentenced Baker to a five-year term with a referral to boot camp. Whether he gets into the 120-day program or serves hard time will be up to the state prison system.

Authorities said Baker stabbed a 17-year-old man as retribution for a gang-related shooting three weeks earlier in a residential area of West Chicago.

The knifing occurred after Baker and two fellow gang members confronted and began fighting with the victim, an unarmed gang rival, according to prosecutors.

"The defendant thought he was a big man bringing a knife to a fistfight," said Assistant State's Attorney Steve Knight.

Knight said the victim suffered a cut on the right side of his torso that was not life-threatening.

In court Friday, Baker's attorney, Richard Kayne, said "some gang issues led up to" the stabbing. Baker told the judge he was "scared for my life."

"I didn't feel like I had a choice," he said.

Kayne said Baker had no prior criminal record.

"It's unfortunate," Kayne said. "Hopefully he'll successfully complete boot camp and get his life back on track."

Co-defendants Mario Hightower and Christopher Kinney remain charged with felony mob action and aggravated battery.

Hightower, 25, of Wayne, plans to enter into a plea bargain next week, Assistant Public Defender Brian Jacobs said in court Friday.

Kinney, 19, of West Chicago, has pleaded not guilty and returns to court Tuesday.

Share this page
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.