A family dog is being credited for alerting a Woodridge homeowner to a house fire early Friday.
The fire on the 1200 block of Richfield Court broke out shortly after 4 a.m. Firefighters said the home had working smoke detectors but they didn't activate because the fire was on the exterior of the house.
Contact information ( * required )
The homeowner told firefighters everyone made it out safely after a family dog burst into a bedroom and started barking, according to a news release from the Darien-Woodridge Fire Protection District. Firefighters said they arrived within four minutes while the homeowner tried to keep the flames under control with a garden hose.
Damage was estimated at $30,000, but officials said the home remained habitable.
The fire was in an exterior bay window area at the front of the house and may have started at a nearby 12-volt landscape light transformer, firefighters said. The investigation is ongoing.