Breaking News Bar
updated: 10/8/2013 12:00 PM

No injuries in electrical fire at Lombard home

hello
Success - Article sent! close
 

A garage fire Monday damaged a house on the 1000 block of South Edison Street in Lombard, but no one was hurt, firefighters said.

Assistant Fire Chief Jerry Howell said the blaze appeared to have started at an electrical outlet in a shed that was filled with storage items and attached to the home's garage.

Order Reprint Print Article
 
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.
Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.

Contact information ( * required )

Success - request sent close

"I think it was a combination of contents and electrical," he said Tuesday. "It looked like it had been charring for some time."

Firefighters were dispatched about 8 p.m. and arrived within minutes to find the flames spreading to the garage attic. Howell said crews used thermal-imaging gear to find hot spots before dismantling parts of the roof.

"We had to go to multiple points in the attic to make sure it didn't spread," he said. "We're grateful no one was injured."

The flames were under control within 5 minutes, officials said. Some smoke crept into the house, causing less than $10,000 in damage, according to Howell.

Lombard firefighters were on the scene for about an hour, assisted by fire crews from Addison, Downers Grove, Oak Brook, Villa Park and York Center.

Officials said the fire was a reminder of Fire Prevention Week, which runs through Saturday.

To observe the occasion, the fire department will have an open house from 6 to 9 p.m. Wednesday at Lombard Fire Station 1, 50 E. St. Charles Road. The event includes local vendors, station tours and rig displays. Visitors also will have a chance to meet local firefighters.

Share this page
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.
    help here