A Chicago woman and her father were charged Sunday in the grisly death of a man who was dismembered and buried on the southwest side earlier this year.
Daisy Gutierrez, 19, faces a first-degree murder charge in the death of Jose Reyes, whose dismembered body was discovered in a home's yard on Friday. She is being held in Cook County Jail on $2 million bond. Her father, 56-year-old Salvador Gutierrez, is charged with helping conceal Reyes' death and being held on $500,000 bond.
During a hearing in Cook County Circuit Court, Assistant State's Attorney Heather Kent told Judge Maria Kuriakos Ciesel the daughter and father both admitted their roles in his death, the Chicago Sun-Times reported.
Prosecutors allege Daisy Gutierrez invited the 28-year-old Reyes to her home on the city's South Side on May 21. After she lured him into the bedroom, they say Gutierrez's boyfriend kicked in the door and killed Reyes with a pipe and a knife before decapitating him.
Kent told the judge that Gutierrez then telephoned her father and told him she had "fixed the problem." Salvador Gutierrez spent three hours digging a hole in the backyard of a home on the city's southwest side and helped bury Reyes' body parts, prosecutors say.
Kent said that after the slaying, Daisy Gutierrez and her boyfriend fled to New Jersey.
Sally Daly, a spokeswoman for the Illinois state's attorney's office, said that the boyfriend has been taken into custody for questioning in New Jersey. Daly declined to identify him because he had not yet been charged.