Breaking News Bar
updated: 10/7/2013 3:24 PM

Most Great Lakes Naval Station civilians back at work

hello
Success - Article sent! close
  • Most of Great Lakes Naval Station's 2,500 civilian employees were back at work Monday after being furloughed without pay in the government shutdown that started Oct. 1.

       Most of Great Lakes Naval Station's 2,500 civilian employees were back at work Monday after being furloughed without pay in the government shutdown that started Oct. 1.
    Steve Lundy | Staff Photographer

 
 

Most of Great Lakes Naval Station's civilian employees were back to work Monday after being furloughed in the federal government shutdown that started last week.

"When you're gone for four days, the work doesn't stop," said Great Lakes spokesman John Sheppard, who was among those sent home after the shutdown started Oct. 1. "It's a catch-up day for a lot of people."

Order Reprint Print Article
 
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.
Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.

Contact information ( * required )

Success - request sent close

Great Lakes, which is between North Chicago and Lake Bluff, is the Navy's only boot camp. Most of the 2,500 nonmilitary workers who were furloughed without pay returned to work Monday.

Employees who were furloughed included those at the Great Lakes commissary, museum, library, barracks and public information offices and other places. Military personnel and workers in safety-related jobs, such as base police, were not furloughed without pay.

Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel announced over the weekend he was recalling most of his department's civilian workers. Hagel said lawyers from the defense and justice departments found federal law allows the elimination furloughs for employees whose responsibilities contribute to the morale, well-being, capabilities and readiness of service members.

Navy Secretary Ray Mabus expressed his satisfaction with the Defense Department recall announcement in a statement.

"We are grateful for (Saturday's) decision about our civilian workforce. ... We are still working through the details, but we will bring back as many of our civilians as we can under the new guidance. And we will continue to press to bring back all our civilian family as soon as possible," Mabus said.

Share this page
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.