Breaking News Bar
updated: 9/25/2013 6:17 PM

Former Wellington restaurant to be demolished

hello
Success - Article sent! close
  • Officials at Elk Grove Township Elementary District 59 have decided to demolish the former Wellington restaurant after purchasing it this summer. District officials determined renovating and repurposing the site would be too costly.

       Officials at Elk Grove Township Elementary District 59 have decided to demolish the former Wellington restaurant after purchasing it this summer. District officials determined renovating and repurposing the site would be too costly.
    Joe Lewnard | Staff Photographer

 
 

Elk Grove Township Elementary District 59 will demolish the former Wellington restaurant building in Arlington Heights it acquired this summer, officials decided this week.

Since closing on a $1.8 million purchase of the property at 2121 S. Arlington Heights Road in July, officials have debated whether to tear down the 22,000-square-foot building, or renovate and repurpose it for the district's needs.

Order Reprint Print Article
 
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.
Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.

Contact information ( * required )

Success - request sent close

In the short-term, it was thought that the district could use the old banquet hall facility for training and meeting space, freeing up some room in the district's cramped administration center, which is the neighboring property at 2123 S. Arlington Heights Road.

But it was decided that renovating the facility would have been too costly, since various parts of the building aren't up to local codes, said district spokeswoman Betsy Boswell.

Some codes were "grandfathered in" after the restaurant opened in 1983, but once the change in ownership happened, those exemptions went away, Boswell said.

"It just became apparent that it would be too expensive to convert," she said. "It had a lot of issues ... I don't think there was ever much chance that we would have reused the building."

Demolition contractors interested in bidding for the teardown work were scheduled to tour the site Wednesday. Bids are due Oct. 8, and the school board is expected to select a contractor and formally authorize the demolition work Oct. 15.

It's also likely that the site will require environmental remediation due to asbestos, Boswell said.

The district plans to convene its facilities advisory committee to determine the future of the Wellington property. The committee is comprised of the district's director of buildings and grounds, two school board members, and other administrators and staff.

The iconic restaurant, which had been up for sale since 2009 due to declining business, finally closed its doors in August 2012.

In advance of the building demolition, district officials have been trying to get rid of most of what the restaurant owners left behind. During a public auction last week, the district sold about $50,000 worth of old desks, tables, chairs, plates, silverware and other items. Some of the what remains will be for sale on an online auction site.

Demolition of the building is expected before the end of the year.

Share this page
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.