Breaking News Bar
updated: 9/20/2013 9:29 PM

Police standoff continues late Friday in Waukegan

hello
Success - Article sent! close
 
 

A police barricade situation continued Friday night in Waukegan involving a man suspected in a recent nearby shooting.

Police surrounded an apartment on the 300 block of George Avenue and locked down area schools about noon Friday. Sgt. Dave DeBaufer said late Friday the barricade situation remained "active and ongoing."

Order Reprint Print Article
 
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.
Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.

Contact information ( * required )

Success - request sent close

Police went to the neighborhood Friday afternoon after a woman called 911, then hung up. They spoke with the woman and she was fine, but a man who was home and may have been armed refused to come out, DeBaufer said.

An emergency response team was called to the scene about 2:30 p.m.

Waukegan police and authorities with the Northern Illinois Police Alarm System were on scene and tried to make contact with the suspect throughout the afternoon and evening, but they received no response.

No shots were fired, and there were no reported injuries. Police weren't sure if the man was still inside.

Police said the man is a suspect in a shooting last week, and the apartment is possibly where he lives.

Three area schools -- Carman-Buckner Elementary School, Andrew Cooke Magnet School and EPIC Early Learning Center -- were placed on soft lockdown about noon, when police notified officials at Waukegan School District 60 about the standoff.

Students and staff were allowed to move freely inside the buildings during the lockdown, but no guests were allowed inside unless they had a prior appointment, officials said in a news release.

At dismissal time, students at Carman-Buckner were not allowed to leave the building without a parent. Dismissal procedures remained relatively unchanged at Cooke and EPIC, where students are normally bussed or picked up by parents, officials said.

Police said they would provide an update on the situation Saturday morning.

Share this page
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.
    help here