Alverno College extended its women's volleyball school-record winning streak to five matches with victories over Finlandia University and North Central University (Minn.) on the opening day of its volley tournament.
An individual school record was also set during the streak, and it belongs to former Antioch setter Meranda Massť.
She broke the single-match record with 44 assists when the Inferno defeated Finlandia University 3-2.
In was the Inferno's first five-set match of the season and Massť directed the attack that saw three Inferno players reach double-digit kills. Massť added 3 kills of her own as the Inferno had 54 for the match, the second most in school history and just one off the record.
Ohio University senior Maggie Murnane (Libertyville) tallied her team-leading third goal of the season during the Bobcats' 3-1 victory against Morehead State in Athens, Ohio.
Murnane's 71st-minute header was ultimately the game-winner as Ohio took a 2-1 lead at the time.
Ohio earned its third straight victory after opening the season with an 0-2-1 start. The three goals already mark a season high for Murnane after she collected 2 goals in 2012 for the Bobcats. She previously played her freshman and sophomore seasons at Dayton.
• Northwestern junior Georgia Waddle (Lake Forest) scored her first goal of the season during a 2-0 win against Dartmouth on Sunday in Evanston, Ill. Her goal in the 51st minute was the game-winner. Waddle now has five career goals as she is coming off a 4-goal campaign in 2012.
• George Washington senior Alex Neal (Lake Villa) scored her first goal of the season to erase a second-half deficit and earn a 1-1 draw against East Carolina.
• University of Chicago senior forward Natalia Jovanovic (Gurnee) scored a goal during the Maroons' 5-2 victory against Dominican University on Tuesday.
• Millikin's Sarah Christy (Schaumburg) had the first goal for the Big Blue (2-1) in a 3-2 overtime win at Earlham College in Richmond, Ind.
Augustana sophomore Aileen MacDonald (Mundelein) is off to 4-0 start in singles play with two matches each at No. 3 and 4. in doubles play, MacDonald and her partner Kim Sawyer are 3-1 for the Vikings.
• Augustana freshman Lauren Goggin (Buffalo Grove) is 5-0 this year at No. 2 singles and her twin sister Dana (Buffalo Grove) is 3-0 at No. 3. The twins have also posted a 4-1 record in doubles, alternating at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles.
Augustana freshmen Nicole Morrissey (Lake Zurich) is her team's fourth-leading attacker with 44 kills for the Vikings.
• Millikin's Sara Travis (Schaumburg) had 11 kills for the Big Blue (5-3) in a 3-2 victory over Edgewood College.
Women's cross country
Augustana junior Rebecca Sund (Palatine) was named the "Runner of the Week" in the College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin with her performance at the Bradley Intercollegiate Invitational at Detweiller Park in Peoria. Sund claimed the individual title and led the Vikings to the team championship in the college division. She recorded a time of 17:57 over the three-mile course, which was 14 seconds in front of junior teammate Jessica Bacon, who finished second.
Augustana won the 10-team meet with 19 points.
• North Central senior Nora Ferguson (Schaumburg) had the best time for Cardinals when they finished second in seven-team Wisconsin-Whitewater Warhawk Invitational on Saturday.
Ferguson's time of 23:19 was good enough for fifth overall and third among collegiate competitors.
Curious about rugby ? Looking to join a Girls High School or Girls Middle School club? Then, join the Illinois Youth Rugby Association for an afternoon of rugby fun and fitness. Girls Day of Rugby will take place on Sunday Oct. 6 from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. at Olympic Park in Schaumburg (1675 E. Old Schaumburg Road). There is no entrance fee for the event; only registration for players. For more information, go to www.iyra.org or the Illinois Youth Rugby Association Facebook page.
• Please email Sports Notes items to firstname.lastname@example.org or FAX to (847) 427-1173.