Lightning caused two house fires Friday night in Geneva, Fire Chief Steve Olson announced Saturday.
In one of them, a natural gas line was damaged and caught on fire.
Nobody was hurt.
The first fire was reported at 7:18 p.m. at 999 Sunset Road. The homeowner heard the lightning strike, saw flames from the kitchen window and ran out the front door.
The house's gas line was damaged. Fire officials believe the lightning either struck the supply line or a nearby tree, damaging the piping and igniting the escaping gas.
Siding was burned, and smoke damaged the inside of the home.
At 7:42 p.m., another fire was reported, at 1565 Keim Circle. Lightning struck the roof, according to fire officials. Smoke and flames were coming from the roof when firefighters arrived, and neighbors were trying to fight the fire with a garden hose.
The center attic was on fire, and the fire spread to the roof. There was water damage to the second floor.
The Geneva department was assisted by Batavia, St. Charles, Elburn, Fermilab, North Aurora, South Elgin and West Chicago fire departments and districts.Copyright © 2014 Paddock Publications, Inc. All rights reserved.