You will have the opportunity to rid your home of boxes of documents at the Solid Waste Agency of Northern Cook County (SWANCC) onsite Document Destruction event from 9 -11 a.m. on Saturday, September 21 at the Arlington Heights Senior Center, 1801 W. Central Road.
This document destruction event is for Arlington Heights residents and SWANCC-area residents, at no cost. Residents will be limited to six banker-sized boxes. Proof of residency will be required.
A sample of the following items can be brought to the event:
• Bank Statements
• Medical Forms
• Personal files
• Retired Tax Forms
Staples and paper clips do not need to be removed from items. Please remove binders. No business waste is accepted.
Here are some tips from Accurate Document Destruction Company, a division of Groot Industries, in handling personal documents:
• Shred all personal documents before throwing them away.
• Do not carry your Social Security card with you.
• Make sure your credit cards are arriving on time. If not, it could mean someone has taken over your account and changed your billing address to cover his tracks.
• Only do Internet business with established, reputable companies.
• Never give personal information over the phone, the Internet or through the mail unless you know with whom you are dealing.
• Be cautious about where you leave personal information in your home, especially if you have roommates or employ outside help.
• Get a police report if your wallet is stolen or lost.
• Do not put sensitive outgoing mail, such as a credit card application, in an outside mailbox.
• Check your credit report at least once a year.
For more information, contact the Arlington Heights Senior Center at (847) 253-5532.