An overheated fan caused smoke to enter a dance studio near the Mack Olson gym at Geneva High School, prompting a safe evacuation of students and staff at 2 p.m. Thursday, school officials said.
The students were allowed back inside the building at 2:30 p.m., just in time for 2:45 p.m. dismissal, said Kelley Munch, District 304 communications coordinator.
A power outage caused the fan to overheat, which trigged a fire alarm, Munch said.
No injuries were reported and school officials said the evacuation went very smoothly.
“We’re very thankful to everyone for their cooperation and we’re returning to a normal school schedule (Friday),” she said.Copyright © 2013 Paddock Publications, Inc. All rights reserved.