Students were evacuated for a few hours on Wednesday from Abbott Middle School in Elgin after a road construction crew caused a gas leak, Elgin police said.
The leak was discovered at 10:36 a.m. at Shuler Street and Commonwealth Avenue, Elgin Police Cmdr. Glenn Theriault said. "A road construction crew somehow dug through the line," he said.
Contact information ( * required )
There were no injuries, and parents were being notified that students were transported to Larkin High School, said Patrick Mogge, Elgin Area School District U-46 director of school and community relations.
About 540 kids in seventh- and eighth-grade were evacuated. They had returned to school by 2 p.m. or so after the school district received the all clear from the Elgin Fire Department, Mogge said.
The school was to have a normal dismissal at the end of the school day, he said.
Students had a pizza lunch while waiting at Larkin, he added.