A fire in an attached garage Friday morning near Naperville was deemed to be caused by the improper disposal of smoking materials, authorities said.
Emergency crews from the Naperville Fire Department were called at 9:57 a.m. to the scene of a house fire at 28W556 Juanita Drive in an unincorporated area near Naperville's southwest side. A neighbor reported that black smoke was coming from the attached garage of the split level single-family home, according to a news release.
When crews arrived eight minutes later, they alerted the homeowner to the fire, and the person was evacuated from the home, authorities said.
Fire department personnel extinguished the fire in about 20 minutes and were able to contain damage to the garage. There were no signs of the fire spreading to the house. An estimated $35,000 in damage was reported.Copyright © 2014 Paddock Publications, Inc. All rights reserved.