Residents in Deerfield are being told to boil water before use after fecal coliform bacteria was found in the village's water supply.
Authorities said the fecal coliform bacteria was found in the water supply during tests conducted Monday.
Fecal coliforms and E. coli are bacteria whose presence indicates that the water may be contaminated with human or animal wastes, authorities said.
Microbes in these wastes can cause diarrhea, cramps, nausea, headaches, and other symptoms.
If ingested, the bacteria may pose a special health risk for infants, young children, and people with severely compromised immune systems.
The Deerfield water department will be performing tests throughout the system over the next 24 hours, and will inform residents when tests show no bacteria in the water.
Officials said they anticipate resolving the problem within 48 hours.
In the interim, officials are urging residents that water should be brought to a boil for five minutes, the cooled before using. People are also urged to use bottled water for drinking, making ice, brushing teeth, washing dishes, and food preparation until further notice.
For more information, check out their website.