Breaking News Bar
updated: 7/25/2013 10:46 PM

Elgin fire displaces homeowner

hello
Success - Article sent! close
 

A man was displaced from his home after a fire in Elgin Thursday afternoon.

The fire on the 100 block of McLean Boulevard was called in by the homeowner at 2:05 p.m.

Order Reprint Print Article
 
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.
Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.

Contact information ( * required )

Success - request sent close

When firefighters arrived, they found the attic fully engulfed in smoke, pushing out of the eaves and roof vents.

Most of the fire was contained in the attic area above the garage of the single-family home.

Firefighters cut a hole in the roof and attacked the fire in the attic and the garage, putting it out in 10 minutes.

Fire officials said the blaze apparently started when the man was outside burning old paint off a wood siding with a torch.

The man was not injured by the fire, nor were firefighter. It caused approximately $30,000 in damage.

The house was ruled uninhabitable, and the man is staying with friends, firefighters said.

Share this page
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.
    help here