• Charges are not evidence of guilt. Under law, individuals are presumed innocent until proven guilty.
• Daliso Sakala, 21, of the 900 block of East Shady Way, Arlington Heights, and Robert J. Strand, 19, of the 1300 block of East Rand Road, Des Plaines, were arrested around 9:45 p.m. July 15 after officers on patrol said they witnessed a drug deal. Sakala, who left his car and ran from police, was arrested on the 1300 block of Second Avenue. He had driven to a restaurant lot at 1242 S. Lee St. Strand, who had been sitting inside the fast-food restaurant, climbed into the car. According to police reports, he told officers he paid Sakala $90 and Sakala handed him 7-8 grams of marijuana. Strand was charged with possession of marijuana and his court date is Aug. 26. Sakala was charged with possession and delivery of marijuana, possession with intent to deliver, and resisting/obstructing a peace officer; his court date is July 26.
• Thieves stole a backpack between 7:10 and 7:25 p.m. July 16 at Mystic Waters park, 2025 Miner St., after the female owner left it under a chair to play with her kids in the pool. The offenders removed a cellphone valued at $800 and dropped the backpack in a men's locker room.
• Thieves stole four hubcaps between 6 p.m. July 16 and 8 a.m. July 17 from a 2000 Ford Expedition in a driveway on the 2000 block of Nimitz Drive. Value was estimated at $200.
• Thieves stole $297 between 7:15 and 9:20 p.m. July 18 out of a dresser drawer in a home on the 300 block of South Lyman Avenue.
• Jose Oscar Rodriguez Soto, 38, of the 800 block of East Old Willow Road, Prospect Heights, was arrested around 1:40 p.m. July 8 at Walmart, Mount Prospect Plaza at Rand and Central roads, and charged with criminal damage to property after a security agent said he saw Soto break a cellphone display rack and remove several cellphones. The agent reported seeing Soto hide the phones in a cooler he had placed in a shopping cart. Soto left the cart, cellphones and cooler in the store when he heard a security agent near the exit talking on a two-way radio to the agent who had been watching Soto, police reports said. Soto also was charged with retail theft after he was seen on a security video taking a laptop computer valued at $748 around 10:45 a.m. May 30, reports said. His court date is July 30.
• A 37-year-old Mount Prospect woman received a phone call around 8 a.m. July 15 from a man claiming to have her brother, Raphael, in his custody. He threatened to kill him if she did not deposit $1,000 into his bank account. The woman told him he had the wrong man because Raphael was not her brother's name. She told the caller her brother's name, so he changed the name but insisted he had him. He gave her a bank account number and told her he would call back in a few minutes. She hung up and phoned her brother, who was safe and not kidnapped. The man called back three times, and she phoned police.
• Burglars stole a leaf blower valued at $200 between July 11 and 16 out of an open garage at a home on the 400 block of West Lonnquist.
• Vandals cracked the rear window between 7:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. July 10 on a 2005 Nissan Sentra in a business lot at 1300 W. Northwest Hwy. Damage was estimated at $250.