Breaking News Bar
updated: 7/16/2013 9:10 AM

5,700 presumed dead in June floods in India

hello
Success - Article sent! close
  • In this June 23 photo, an Indian man crosses over a swollen river with the help of a rope in Govindghat, in the northern India state of Uttarakhand, India. A top Indian official said more than 5,700 people missing since last month's devastating floods that ravaged northern India are now presumed dead.

      In this June 23 photo, an Indian man crosses over a swollen river with the help of a rope in Govindghat, in the northern India state of Uttarakhand, India. A top Indian official said more than 5,700 people missing since last month's devastating floods that ravaged northern India are now presumed dead.
    Associated Press file photo

 
Associated Press

LUCKNOW, India -- More than 5,700 people missing since last month's devastating floods that ravaged northern India are now presumed dead, a top official said Tuesday.

Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna said Tuesday that the Uttarakhand state government would give financial compensation to the families of people who may have perished in the floods and landslides that hit the Himalayan region in June.

Order Reprint Print Article
 
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.
Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.

Contact information ( * required )

Success - request sent close

The government had earlier put the death toll at 600 but repeatedly stressed that it would be significantly higher.

Bahuguna said recovery operations would continue, adding the exact number of people who died may never be known.

"The search operations will continue till the family members of the missing are satisfied," Bahuguna told a group of survivors Tuesday as the state government began handing out compensation checks to the families of the dead.

The Uttarakhand government has announced that it will pay compensation of 500,000 rupees ($8,350) to the families of each victim.

Hundreds of thousands of Hindus visit Uttarakhand's temple towns during the summer. The state is also a popular holiday destination and droves of Indians head to the cooler hills to escape the summer heat.

Visitors usually leave before July, when monsoon rains make the mountainous roads much more treacherous, but this year unprecedented heavy rains fell around mid-June.

Roads, bridges and multistoried buildings were washed away as flooded rivers rampaged through the state, burying entire villages in silt and debris.

Army and paramilitary soldiers and volunteers rescued more than 100,000 people who were stranded in remote areas cut off by washed-out roads and landslides.

The air force and private companies made thousands of helicopter sorties to pick up people stuck on rooftops or marooned on hilltops and to drop off food and drinking water.

Bahuguna said the government would rebuild the worst-hit temple town of Kedarnath, where hundreds perished on June 16 when a sea of silt and flood water roared down a mountain valley, sweeping away everything in its path.

Share this page
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.
    help here