During the summer months, facility improvements are being made across Palatine-Schaumburg High School District 211.
Summer provides a perfect time for facility improvements because classrooms are generally empty and summer school locations are determined partly around building improvement plans.
Here are some updates on what the district is currently working on for the 2013-2014 school year.
• Asphalt and concrete: Removal and replacement of asphalt is complete at James B. Conant and Palatine high schools. Work is under way at Hoffman Estates High School. The weather has been very favorable for this work so far.
• Kitchen remodeling: Demolition of the Palatine High School kitchen is complete. Underground water and sewer piping is in place. Underground electric work is under way. Concrete floor slabs are being placed and new masonry is being installed. The first new walk-in freezer is on-site and awaiting installation.
• Main office remodeling: Demolition of the Palatine High School office area is complete. Floor cutting is done and underground electrical work is under way. Ductwork installation is 50 percent complete, while exterior excavation for the canopy system is under way. Construction of new interior walls also has begun.
• Life Safety HVAC (heating, ventilation, air-conditioning) work: Palatine High School HVAC equipment has been disconnected and demolition is 90 percent complete. A helicopter was scheduled to remove disconnected rooftop units and place new units last week.
• Bus garage demolition: The bus garage at William Fremd High School has been demolished. Removal of scrap materials is under way. Excavation of the foundation walls and footings will begin shortly.
• Hallway lighting replacement: Conant High School's hallway lighting replacement is 90 percent complete. This project should be completely finished in the next two weeks.
• Roof replacement: The pool roof and auditorium roof replacement at Palatine High School are under way. Rock has been removed. Tear off the membrane is in progress.