• An armed man attempted to rob a woman at about 1:30 a.m. Sunday. The woman was depositing money into an ATM at a bank in the 500 block of Shady Oaks, police said. The woman sped away and called police, who were unable to locate the man.
• A 24-year-old Elgin man was taken to Sherman Hospital at about 5 a.m. Saturday after being beaten and suffering a broken jaw, police said. The man's sister told police she got a call from her brother asking to be picked up on Villa Street. When she arrived, she saw her injured brother being carried by two men, and took him to the hospital. The man said he was hit with a baseball bat, but refused to give police any further information.
• Lynn Busky, 60, of the 3600 block of Greyhawk Drive, was arrested Sunday at Walmart in the 1400 block of South Randall Road and charged with retail theft, according to a police report. She was released on a notice to appear on court July 31 in Algonquin.
• Anthony J. Garcia Jr., 23, of the 9100 block of Bristol Lane, Huntley, was charged with battery Sunday, according to a police report. He was taken into custody at the Algonquin police station and released after posting $150. He is due in court Aug. 7 in McHenry County.
• A wedding ring that had accidentally been left behind June 24 was stolen from a business on the 12000 block of Princeton Drive, police said.
• Police wrote a fraud report June 26 in which someone complained about a credit card that had been used to make an unauthorized purchase out of state, police said. The report was made in the 12900 block of Coventry Lane.
• Police wrote an identity theft report June 26 for credit card accounts that had been opened without the complainant's authorization, police said. The report was made on the 9900 block of Berkshire Lane.
• A man called a resident June 19 in the 15N400 block of McCormack Road in Elgin, saying the person had won a $3.5 million prize but needed to wire the man $1,500 for tax purposes. The person called a friend, who informed the resident it was a scam, according to a sheriff's report. • A resident of the 38W300 of Heritage Oaks Drive near St. Charles reported a lost or stolen 16-gigabyte iPad June 13 or June 14, a total loss of $300, according to a sheriff's report.