Breaking News Bar
posted: 6/26/2013 9:15 PM

Elgin man denies sex abuse allegations

hello
Success - Article sent! close
  • Randall Behning

      Randall Behning

 
By Reema Amin
ramin@dailyherald.com

An Elgin man took the witness stand Wednesday to flatly deny he sexually abused a preteen girl in 2007 and 2008.

Randall Behning, 52, confidently answered, "No," when defense attorney Nischal Raval asked him if he ever had any sexual contact with a now-18-year-old girl, who says the abuse began when she was 12 and continued for about 2 years.

Order Reprint Print Article
 
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.
Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.

Contact information ( * required )

Success - request sent close

Behning, an Army veteran, has been charged with criminal sexual assault, predatory criminal sexual assault, child pornography and indecent solicitation of an adult. If convicted on all the charges, he faces a minimum sentence of 28 years in prison.

About 15 of Behning's relatives and friends came out to support him. Several testified that the relationship between Behning and his accuser was good, "never threatening" and "comfortable."

Eugene Roether, of Ottawa, said he's known Behning for about 10 years and never noticed "anything even close" to the accusations.

Cook County Assistant State's Attorney Jason Poje said their observations make complete sense.

"(Behning's) family and friends didn't have a chance to see the truth; they weren't always in his home," Poje said in closing arguments. "We as human beings want to believe we have surrounded ourselves with people of character."

Raval suggested in his closing argument that no one can corroborate the girl's claims that Behning sexually assaulted her.

Photos recovered of the girl wearing lingerie could have been taken by her using a camera timer and not by Behning, Raval said.

He pointed out inconsistencies in testimony between the girl and prosecution witness Kyle Peters, who testified Behning invited him to have sex with the girl but that he chose not to.

Poje rejected Raval's testimony, saying "the question isn't how they (their accounts) were different but how they came up with a story so similar."

There's evidence that the girl's grades dropped in 2008, during the time she says the abuse occurred, said Cook County Assistant State's Attorney Kristin Piper, which was consistent with her testimony.

Cook County Judge Joel Greenblatt ruled the prosecution could not prove beyond a reasonable doubt whether the victim had been 12 or 13 years old for some of the allegations and dropped three of those counts before the defense presented its case Wednesday morning. The age of the accuser matters for certain charges.

Greenblatt said he will announce his finding at 11 a.m. Friday.

Share this page
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.
    help here