The Des Plaines Park District's 2013 Live at the Lake Summer Entertainment Series returns to Lake Park this year, with a five-week lineup of free Thursday evening outdoor music and dance shows.
Audience participation is applauded and families are encouraged to come out early to picnic and play in the park.
"Live at the Lake is one of our most popular events and showcases incredible local talent," said Cultural Arts Supervisor Nancy Suwalski. "The remarkable musicians and dancers we have lined up for this year will truly make this a memorable event."
This year's performances include:
• Thursday, June 20: 7-8:30 p.m., Mr. Meyers Caribbean Band. Mr. Meyers blends the sounds of calypso and ska with the rhythms of reggae and a touch of rock and roll to create their own special sound.
• Thursday, June 27: 7-8 p.m., Des Plaines Park District Community Concert Band. Under the direction of Lawrence J. Carle, enjoy a musical evening of Broadway and movie scores, patriotic marches, and classic and popular hits from the band's wide repertoire.
• Thursday, July 11: 7-8:30 p.m., The Barefoot Hawaiians. This professional, authentic Polynesian-style performing troupe of dancers and drummers will recreate the colors and flavors of the islands.
• Thursday, July 18; 7-8:30 p.m., Artistry in Motion Dance Company. The Des Plaines Park District's dance company performs jazz, ballet, modern, hip-hop, and tap numbers.
• Thursday, July 25: 7-8:30 p.m., dupage. Playing Motown, adult contemporary covers, and alternative hits, dupage is an interactive musical experience not to be missed.
Performances take place at the Lake Park Memorial Pavilion, 2200 Lee St. Parking is free. For weather information, call (847) 391-5705, after 6 p.m. on the day of the performance.
For information, call (847) 391-5700 or visit www.DPParks.org.