• Charges are not evidence of guilt. Under law, individuals are presumed innocent until proven guilty.
• Joseph Nathan Sykes, 57, of the 2000 block of South Pine Street, Des Plaines, was arrested around 1:15 a.m. June 9 on the sidewalk outside his home and charged with felony making a false request for an ambulance. According to police reports, he phoned 911 and told the dispatcher he was injured and needed an ambulance, but later told officers he wanted a place to sleep because he had been drinking and was not allowed in the house. His court date is June 24.
• Three men and a woman were arrested around 5:10 p.m. June 8 on the 1700 block of East Algonquin Road after a traffic stop. Francisco A. Portillo, 24, of the 300 block of West Army Trail Road, Addison, was charged with driving while license suspended and failure to signal a right turn. Miguel Casas, 29, of the 0-100 block of Second Avenue, Arlington Heights, was charged with illegal transportation of alcohol. Edgar Hernandez, 20, of the 100 block of Sandra, Northlake, was charged with illegal transportation of alcohol and unlawful consumption of alcohol by a minor. Elizabeth Vargas, 30, of the 2800 block of South Gary Avenue, Melrose Park, was charged with illegal transportation of alcohol and possession of a controlled substance (cocaine).
• Burglars hurled a chunk of concrete around 2:55 a.m. June 5 that broke the front glass door at the Smoke Shop, 836 S. Elmhurst Road. The offenders broke open the cash register by throwing it on the floor and stole approximately $300. They broke into a locked display case and stole four to eight tobacco pipes. A security alarm sent officers and the owner to the shop, but the offenders had fled.
• A man and woman may have stolen three bottles of tequila valued at $165 around 6:50 p.m. May 25 from Binny's Beverage Depot, 767 W. Golf Road. A security video shows them taking the three boxed bottles from a shelf but does not show them with the bottles when they leave the store. Corporate security said the two individuals appear to match ones from a theft at the Schaumburg Binny's around 11:50 a.m. May 10 when two bottles of Hennessy were taken.
• Thieves stole a Central States trailer parked at a business loading dock at 1333 S. Mount Prospect Road between May 30 and June 6.
• Two men stole five to eight copper pipes from Resurrection Health Care, 100 N. River Road, around 10:40 a.m. June 7. One man entered the boiler room and pushed the pipes through a locked metal gate to his accomplice outside the building. The accomplice loaded the pipes into a maroon pickup truck. Value was estimated at $200.
• Burglars entered a building on the Maryville Academy campus, 1150 N. River Road, between 6 p.m. June 7 and 7:30 a.m. June 8, forced open an office door, stole envelopes containing $700 from a locked cabinet, smashed the glass door at a second office and stole two laptop computers valued at $1,000. There was no sign of forced entry to the building.
• Burglars ransacked a 2005 Honda CR-V, a 2003 Chevrolet sedan, and a 2011 Jeep Wrangler at three homes on the 300 block of Woodbridge Road between 6:30 p.m. June 6 and 6:30 a.m. June 7 but nothing appeared to be missing.
• Thieves stole the glass from the driver's-side mirror on a 2003 Kia Sorrento between 8:30 and 11:15 p.m. June 8 on the 2000 block of Webster Lane. Value was estimated at $200.
• Two men robbed a cabdriver of $215 and an iPhone valued at $200 at Golf and River roads around 5:30 a.m. June 9.
• Thieves stole a laptop computer with bag, external hard drive and personal papers, valued at $1,150, out of an unlocked 2012 Nissan Quest in an apartment lot on the 1200 block of South Elmhurst Road between 7 p.m. June 4 and 9 a.m. June 5. The offenders dropped the computer in Kopp Park. The hard drive and laptop appeared to be damaged,
• Burglars broke into a 2008 Honda Accord between June 3 and 6 in an apartment lot on the 1300 block of South Elmhurst Road and ransacked the interior. Nothing appeared to be missing.