Fittest loser
Article updated: 6/10/2013 7:59 AM

Philly council to announce probe of fatal collapse

Sean Benschop, center, with red jacket over his head, walks with investigators as he arrives at the Philadelphia Police Departmentís Central Detectives Division Saturday in Center City Philadelphia. Benschop, the heavy equipment operator accused of being high on marijuana when a downtown building collapsed onto a thrift store, killing six people, turned himself in on Saturday to face charges in the deaths, police said.

Sean Benschop, center, with red jacket over his head, walks with investigators as he arrives at the Philadelphia Police Department's Central Detectives Division Saturday in Center City Philadelphia. Benschop, the heavy equipment operator accused of being high on marijuana when a downtown building collapsed onto a thrift store, killing six people, turned himself in on Saturday to face charges in the deaths, police said.

 

Associated Press

 1 of 1 
 
text size: AAA
By Associated Press

PHILADELPHIA -- Philadelphia's City Council is setting up a special investigative committee to conduct a wide-ranging investigation in the aftermath of the building collapse that killed six people and injured 13 last week.

The downtown building was being demolished when it collapsed onto a neighboring Salvation Army Thrift Store on Wednesday, killing two employees and four customers. Police say a heavy equipment operator was high on marijuana when the accident happened and he surrendered Saturday to face charges in the deaths.

Advertisement

On Monday, the City Council is planning to announce the formation of a special committee to conduct a broad review of procedures and regulations regarding licenses and permits, construction and demolition, the certification of workers, building maintenance and other issues. Council President Darrell Clarke and other members are scheduled to discuss details about the committee at a noon news conference.

In the fallout of the collapse, officials have begun inspecting hundreds of demolition sites citywide in recent days. Mayor Michael Nutter said Friday that the city is preparing to implement sweeping changes in its regulations of building demolition.

The excavator operator, Sean Benschop, surrendered Saturday to face six counts of involuntary manslaughter, 13 counts of recklessly endangering another person and one count of risking a catastrophe. His attorney said it was an accident and his client is not responsible for it.

Comments ()
We are now using Facebook comments to offer a more inclusive, social and constructive discussion. Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.

This article filed under

Latest Video

MostViewed

Today
Yesterday
Most Commented
Top Jobs

    View all Top Jobs Place a job ad

    MarketsReport

    DHExtras

       
    • Newspaper next section - Newspaper next section Report card checker - report card checker
    • Dh innovation award 2 - Dh innovation award 2 Zillow /real estate page
    • Discuss refer On Guard series
    • Newspaper archives -- Monday or anyday Mike North

    FacebookActivity

    BusinessDirectory

    Connect with a business or service in your area fast. First select a town, then enter a search term or choose one of the listed popular searches:

    Don't see your town listed? Visit our full directory to begin your search.