Two Harper College volleyball players who formed a formidable attack over the last two seasons -- Kelly Sommers and Sarah House -- have made commitments to continue their playing careers.
Sommers (Buffalo Grove) will play her final two seasons of eligibility at Concordia University in River Forest, where she will major in education with an emphasis on early childhood.
Contact information ( * required )
"The coach was anxious to get her," said Harper coach Bob Vilsoet.
The Cougars ended last season 5-19.
"I think there is a lot of room of improvement," said Sommers, a setter. "I'm going to come in and play my game."
The good news for Concordia is that 3 of the team's 5 wins came against Northern Athletic Conference foes.
Sommers who was part of the Hawks' program for three seasons, as she was redshirted as a freshman. Last season, she earn all-region and all-conference honors.
• Outside hitter Sarah House (Crystal Lake South) will attend Lake Forest College. As a Harper freshman, House earned all-conference recognition.
"You never bet against Sarah," Vilsoet said.
The Foresters finished last year 17-10 overall and 7-3 in conference play, good for third place.
"Lake Forest is going to be glad to have her," said Vilsoet, who think the best is yet to come for House. "She's going to be a team leader."
The two former teammates won't wait long to play one other. The Cougars and Foresters will scrimmage Saturday, Aug. 24.
Five wrestlers move on: A total of five former Harper wrestlers will continue their careers at new destinations.
"All of them are good choices," said Hawks coach Dan Loprieno. "They're going to make an immediate impact on those teams."
• Zach Hummel and Michael Summerville have committed to Wisconsin-Whitewater. The Warhawks finished third in the NCAA Division III tournament last season.
• Barrington grad Kalvin Argueta has signed on at Elmhurst College. The Bluejays finished second nationally last season.
• Josh Tardy also decided to take his talents to the CCIW. The Naperville Central grad will wrestle in his hometown of Naperville and will attend North Central College.
• Steven Dewitt will compete at Loras University in DuBuque, Iowa.