• Charges are not evidence of guilt. Under law, individuals are presumed innocent until proven guilty.
Contact information ( * required )
• An Arlington Heights woman received a phone call around 3:30 p.m. May 28 from a man claiming to be Jack Diamond from Publisher's Clearinghouse. He told her she had won $2.2 million and supplied her with a telephone number. She called the number and was told she needed to go to Walgreens and purchase a Green Dot Money Pack in the amount of $199 and then call him back. She called Walgreens and learned that the money pack is a prepaid credit card and the call was a scam. No funds were lost.
• Thieves stole a 3-foot by 5-foot black and silver POW/MIA flag and pole from a tree in the front yard at a home on the 1400 block of North Salem Boulevard between 8 p.m. May 27 and 6 a.m. May 28. Value was estimated at $50.
• Timoteo Diaz Jr., 28, of the 7500 block of North Elmhurst Road, Des Plaines, was arrested around 5:30 p.m. May 28 on the 700 block of West Kathleen Drive and charged with failure to wear a safety belt and possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia (glass pipe). His court date is June 26.
• A male robber stole a computer tablet out of a 12-year-old boy's hands in the park near the Shrine to Guadalupe, 1150 N. River Road, between noon and 12:15 p.m. May 18. Value was estimated at $499.
• Thieves stole a children's blue and black bicycle with training wheels between 9 p.m. May 27 and 6 p.m. May 28 out of an unlocked backyard at a home on the 2300 block of East Lechner Lane. Value was estimated at $70.
• Thieves stole a 12-foot extension ladder out of a backyard on the 200 block of South Radcliffe Avenue between May 22 and 27. Value was estimated at $200.
• Burglars stole various tools out of an unlocked garage at a home on the 300 block of Pinehurst Drive between 8 p.m. May 26 and 7 a.m. May 28.
• Thieves stole a wallet valued at $20 out of a patient's night stand drawer at Holy Family Hospital, 100 N. River Road, between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. May 28. He did not know the wallet was missing until Target security phoned to ask if he had let someone use his card.
• Thieves stole a red 2007 Volvo TR between May 23 and 29 out of a business lot at 1801 S. Elmhurst Road.
• Juan M. Patino-Lopez, 33, of the 300 block of Addison Road, Addison, was arrested around 5:35 a.m. May 18 at Central Road and Main Street and charged with felony aggravated DUI (reports said he has never had a valid driver's license), illegal transportation of open alcohol, obstructing traffic, suspended driving privileges, and no valid insurance. His court date is June 12.
• Janina H. Plewa, 48, of the 0-100 block of South Busse Road, Mount Prospect, was arrested around 12:15 p.m. May 22 at Menards, 740 E. Rand Road, and charged with local ordinance retail theft after she was accused of hiding an air regulator/filter in her purse. Value was estimated at $50.
• A 75-year-old Mount Prospect woman was nearly scammed out of $2,000 around 12:30 p.m. May 21 when she received a phone call from someone pretending to be her granddaughter. She told the woman she had been arrested on charges of drug possession in St. Louis, Mo., and needed the money to get the arrest erased from her record. A man then came on the phone pretending to be a St. Louis police officer. He instructed her to wire $2,000 to a man in Georgetown, Cayman Islands. She agreed and hung up, but began to have doubts. When she could not reach her granddaughter, she phoned police, who advised her that the call was a scam. The woman eventually reached her granddaughter, who had turned off her cellphone at a movie.
• Burglars stole two drill sets and a nail gun out of a 2006 Chevrolet Silverado pickup truck between 8 p.m. May 23 and 6 a.m. May 24 in a driveway on the 300 block of Crestwood Lane. Value was estimated at $900.
• Burglars damaged the power outlet cover and stole three pairs of designer sunglasses, a cellphone charger, toy, iPad and two replacement headlight bulbs out of an unlocked 2005 Lexus SUV between 9 p.m. May 27 and 7:55 a.m. May 28 in a driveway on the 900 block of West Palm Drive. Loss was estimated at $1,376.
• Burglars stole a garage door remote control and an envelope with miscellaneous papers out of an unlocked 1998 Ford pickup truck between noon May 27 and 10:30 a.m. May 28 in a driveway on the 600 block of South Glendale Lane. Value was estimated at $50.
• Burglars ransacked an apartment on the 500 block of Piper Lane between 6:45 a.m. and 2:10 p.m. May 17 and stole jewelry valued at $3,000, cash, a video game system, and two laptop computers.
• A man wearing a white or yellow shirt and riding a gray bicycle was seen peering into a bedroom window at a first-floor apartment on the 800 block of East Old Willow Road between 8:45 and 9 p.m. May 20. Witnesses saw him ride up and down the sidewalk, look at apartment windows, get off his bike, hide in bushes and look into the bedroom window. He fled when a witness confronted him.
• Vandals scratched the two driver's-side doors on a 2008 Acura TL between 6 p.m. May 22 and 7 a.m. May 23 in a condominium lot on the 800 block of East Old Willow Road. Damage was estimated at $300.