CONAKRY, Guinea -- A hospital official says at least 11 people were killed in clashes between opposition marchers and security forces in Guinea's capital.
The clashes on Thursday into Friday were the latest iteration in the ongoing fight between the country's opposition and the ruling party over the details of a much-delayed parliamentary election.
Contact information ( * required )
Idrissa Balde at the Donka hospital morgue said Sunday that seven of the 11 dead had been killed by bullet wounds. He said five bodies have been identified.
Opposition spokesman Aboubacar Sylla on Sunday said dozens were killed in "unprecedented violence."
Albert Camara, government spokesman, said only four people had been killed. On Thursday, Camara said the opposition had come to the march armed with knives and projectiles and had attacked security forces as well as public property.