Attached is a picture of outdoor space. My project is unique because I live in a two-story townhouse style condo and the existing space is very small. I've never seen a makeover for a condo patio/outdoor living space. Many makeovers involve large yards, making their ideas difficult to incorporate into a small space. The lack of space is why I think my backyard deserves a makeover.
The patio is a 10-by-10-foot concrete pad accessed fromm my dining room through a sliding glass door. Next to the patio is a dirt area containing the air conditioning unit and bordered by shrubs. About five feet from the front edge of the concrete pad is a small tree that blooms in spring and has berries in the winter.
Renovations would require condo board association approval but many other homeowners have received approval to expand their patio area with pavers. Board approval is gained quickly via email among the decision makers. I have spoken to several board members and most reasonable requests are approved.
I would like to do something with the dirt area to make it more usable as additional patio space. Possibly remove the shrubs and expand the patio area. The A/C unit and gradual slope in this area are challenges I do not feel I could do myself successfully.
I think outdoor spaces for a condo have been neglected as makeover candidates. This is unfortunate because many homeowners face the same outdoor challenges as my project. Please select my space for a makeover and show many small space homeowners the potential of their outdoor space. My backyard makeover project is deserving for what it lacks, a large backyard!
Transformation by Lurvey Landscape Supply and Garden Center
From the experts:
The backyard is common of a townhouse with a small concrete patio and limited plant material.
• Extend the seating area of the patio using Natural Bluestone Pavers which will complement the house color and allow for additional entertainment space.
• Use vertical space of the privacy fence, to add living wall art.
• Camouflage the air conditioner unit with a trellis screen creating a nice back drop for the plant material.
• Add shrubs, perennials and ornamental grasses to the existing planting beds.
• Complete the patio with a dining table set by Oxford Gardens.
• Add decorative containers to the space. Containers are great for edible plants as well as adding seasonal color year round. Available in many shapes, materials and colors.
Transformation by Viking Ski and Patio Shop
From the experts:
The homeowner could choose from among these furniture sets:
• Meridian Montego Cast Aluminum set, with a 48-inch table and four dining chairs, including cushions and umbrella. This one is the best choice, as it has a low height and will not block a view. It is made from aluminum and is low-maintenance.
• Another low-height option is the Meridian Metro 36-inch square wrought-iron table with four dining chairs. It is easy to clean and has a lower price point than the Meridian Montego set.
• For a price slightly above budget, Berlin Gardens offers counter-height chairs and a 38-inch round table made with recycled plastic and is low-maintanence.