Northwest suburban police blotter
• Charges are not evidence of guilt. Under law, individuals are presumed innocent until proven guilty.
• Burglars stole power tools, sprayers and other equipment being stored by an individual in a warehouse/shop at 3350 W. Salt Creek between 4:30 p.m. May 2 and 8 a.m. May 4. There was no sign of forced entry; every item was taken. Value was estimated between $60,000 and $80,000.
• Margaret D. Wolovick, 57, of the 400 block of Lodge Trail, Wheeling, was arrested around 8:50 p.m. May 3 at Kohl's, 800 W. Dundee Road, and charged with local ordinance retail theft after she reportedly took three polo shirts and hid them in her purse. Value was estimated at $78, Her court date is May 28.
• Vandals sawed through the catalytic converter on a 2006 Honda Element between 9 p.m. May 6 and 9:30 a.m. May 7 in an apartment lot on the 700 block of East Falcon Drive. Damage was estimated at $92.
• Burglars broke into a landscape trailer between 2 and 3:15 p.m. May 8 in an apartment lot on the 2300 block of South Goebbert Road and stole gas-powered trimmer, blower, hedge trimmer, and edger. Value was estimated at $1,500.
• Burglars cut the padlock on a storage unit between Dec. 1 and May 1 in an apartment building on the 300 block of West Miner Street and stole a set of rims and tires. Value was estimated at $1,540.
• Burglars entered an unlocked home on the 1300 block of South Yale Avenue between 7:30 and 9:14 p.m. May 6, ransacked bedrooms and stole jewelry and watches.
• Thieves stole an iPad valued between $300 and $400 around 6:30 p.m. May 4 from a customer's purse at the Dollar Store, 89 W. Golf Road.
• Burglars stole a GPS, cellphone car charger, and master key out of an unlocked 2007 Chevrolet Express van between 10 and 11 p.m. May 2 in an apartment lot on the 2700 block of North Buffalo Grove Road. Value was estimated at $236.
• Burglars entered a home on the 800 block of South Ridge between 8:20 and 9 p.m. May 1, rifled rooms and dumped jewelry on the floor and bed in the master bedroom.
• A male resident at a home on the 1200 block of South Belmont heard individuals walking up his driveway around 10:45 p.m. May 4. He looked out and saw two subjects trying to get into his detached garage through the service door. He opened a door and they fled.
• Sandra J. Losoff, 61, of the 400 block of Miner Street, Arlington Heights, was arrested April 28 after a traffic stop at Route 14 and Ela Road and charged with illegal transportation of alcohol, DUI and traffic violation. Her court date is May 17.
• Henrietta A. Phillips, 50, of the 100 block of Harbor Drive, Lake Barrington, was arrested May 1 after a traffic stop at Route 14 and Ela Road and charged with illegal transportation of alcohol, DUI, and traffic violations. Her court date is May 17.
• Thieves stole three concrete planters April 29 from te front of 110 W. Northwest Hwy.
• Burglars broke into eight vehicles May 4 in the Field of Dreams parking lot at Barrington High School, 616 W. Main St. Undisclosed items were taken.
• Thieves stole a wallet May 4 out of a woman's purse in a shopping bag at the Metra depot, 201 Spring St., while she stood a few feet away checking the train schedule.
• Thieves stole a wallet out of a customer's purse at Heinen's Fine Foods, 500 N. Hough St., April 25.
• Thieves stole garden cement from Tivoli Garden Antiques, 107 E. Main St., April 23.
• Vandals slashed a tire on a vehicle at the Ice House Mall, 200 Applebee St., April 22.
• Vandals punctured the rear passenger's-side tire on a 2011 Chevrolet van between noon and 5:50 p.m. April 23 in an apartment lot on the 2000 block of North Hicks Road.
• Burglars stole a small laptop computer valued at $300 out of a 2003 Lincoln sedan between 9:06 and 9:11 p.m. April 23 on the 1000 block of East Randville Drive.
• Thieves stole two 12-volt marine batteries valued at $200 around 4:20 p.m. April 29 out of a boat on the 1800 block of North Rand Road.
• Burglars broke into a 2010 Honda sedan between 5:30 and 9:18 p.m. April 17at Birchwood Park, 435 W. Illinois Ave., and stole an iPad, purse, wallet, ski jacket and cash. Value was estimated at $670. During the same time and in the same lot, burglars broke into a 2006 Toyota sedan and stole a tote bag, personal clothing and cosmetics.
• Nerary G. Yousif, 27, of the 9000 block of Lauren, Niles, was arrested around 8:40 p.m. May 5 on the 100 block of North Buffalo Grove Road and charged with possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia.
• Thomas A. Burton, 30, of the 100 block of East Ranney, Vernon Hills, was arrested around 11:25 p.m. May 2 on the 2700 block of North Main Street and charged with battery after he reportedly struck a bartender in the face when he was told he would not be served.
• Rolando R. Torres, 21, of the 1400 block of Palm, Wheeling, was arrested around 12:10 a.m. May 4 on Dundee Road at Lake and charged with possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia, DUI and traffic violations.
• Michael E. Bass, 34, of the 100 block of Saratoga, Vernon Hills, was arrested around 3:45 p.m. May 4 at Checker and Knight Hill Court and charged with possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia, no child restraint, and driving while license suspended.
• Christopher L. Larson, 20, of the 800 block of Old Checker, Buffalo Grove, was arrested around 11:30 p.m. April 24 at Estate and Bernard and charged with possession of marijuana and speeding.
• Burglars broke into a home on the 2000 block of Roslyn between 3:30 and 10:37 p.m. May 4 and ransacked rooms.
• Anajely Guzman-Vargas, 33, of the 400 block of West Washington Street, Bensenville, was arrested around 1 p.m. May 7 at Kmart, 1155 E. Oakton St., and charged with retail theft after she reportedly stole nine clothing items and 13 cosmetic items, valued at $186. Her court date is May 23.
• Thieves cut a fence at a Union Pacific Railroad storage yard, 1099 Northwest Hwy., between 5 p.m. May 3 and 8 a.m. May 4 and stole several metal pieces used on railroad gates. This is the second theft from the property this year, reports said.
• Thieves stole a wallet from a female customer at Wendy's restaurant, 2570 E. Dempster St., around 3 p.m. May 7. A young female tried to return the wallet to the victim's home, but she was not there, so the girl gave it to a neighbor, telling the neighbor that she found the wallet in Park Ridge. A checkbook, business cards, receipts and approximately $1 in change were missing, but her driver's license, credit/bank cards and medical cards were still inside the wallet, reports said.
• Six teens, 12-14 years old, were seen on a security video propping open the roll-down security gate at the concession stand for Central Youth baseball at a park building, 1535 E. Prairie Ave., between 8:50 and 9:07 p.m. May 4. The video shows them reach inside with their arms and long sticks to grab snacks. Value was estimated at $100.
• Burglars broke into a 2006 Nissan Quest van between 8:25 and 8:30 a.m. May 7 in the front parking lot at Orchard Place School, 2727 S. Maple Ave., while the female victim dropped off her son. They stole a purse containing two cellphones and other items. Value was estimated at $700.
Elk Grove Village
• Gregory W. Huege, 45, of the 1300 block of Oakwood, Des Plaines, was arrested around 7:20 p.m. April 26 at Oakton Street and Higgins Road and charged with criminal damage to property. His court date is May 30.
• Thieves stole eight brass fire hose valve covers off the water connections between noon April 25 and 10 a.m. April 26 on the first and second levels of the Citibank parking garage, 50 Northwest Point Blvd. Value was estimated at $1,600.
• Burglars entered a warehouse through an unlocked overhead door between 11:15 a.m. April 26 and 5:50 a.m. April 28 at ADK Co., 1950 Estes Ave., used a forklift to move over 2,000 pounds of brass roller stampings and 250 pounds of aluminum extrusion parts and also took two toolboxes with hand tools, and power drills and staple guns. Value was estimated at $10,000.
• Burglars stole a radio out of the center console of an unlocked 1998 Ford Explorer on the 1600 block of Oakton Street between April 26 and 30. Value was estimated at $200.
• Burglars broke into a 2012 Nissan Sentra between 5 and 7 p.m. May 1 in a business lot, 1100 Touhy Ave., and stole a purse containing a wallet, silver and diamond ring, and cash. Loss was estimated at $2,075.
• Burglars broke into a 2007 Skyline travel trailer between April 2 and May 2 in an employee parking lot at 505 Bonnie Lane and stole camping equipment. Damage was estimated at $150; value of the stolen items was unknown.
• Thieves stole a cellphone and headset out of an employee's jacket between 3:10 and 3:30 p.m. April 18 in a locker room at a business at 1920 Nerge Road. Thieves stole an iPad out of a drawer at the same location between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. April 20. Value was estimated at $499.
• Burglars broke into a 1999 Nissan Maxima between 11:30 p.m. April 19 and noon April 20 on the 1000 block of West Devon Avenue and stole a canvas bag and black leather box with money and jewelry. Loss was estimated at $20,800.
• Burglars forced open the overhead door at a business, 75 Randall St., between 2 p.m. April 20 and 5:45 a.m. Aril 22 and stole hand tools. Loss was estimated at $5,000.
• Vandals extensively keyed a 2003 Acura MDX at the management/leasing office in an apartment lot on the 1400 block of South Busse Road between 10 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. May 7. Offenders scratched several lines on all sides of the vehicle. Damage was estimated at $800.
• A vandal hurled a rock that hit a 2001 Chevrolet van between 3:30 and 4 p.m. May 1 at the intersection of Baldwin and Dundee roads. The van was stopped at the traffic light.
• Burglars climbed through a lower-level window between 7:15 a.m. and 6:45 p.m. May 2 at a home on the 1000 block of Claremont Drive and stole a bottle of whiskey and a jewelry box containing jewelry and a watch valued at $150.
• Burglars stole tools and two boxes of copy machine toner between 5:15 p.m. May 2 and 6:15 a.m. May 3 out of a condominium office on the 1200 block of Wyndham Court. Value was estimated at $445.
• Thieves stole an outdoor air conditioning unit between May 2 and 4 from a home on the 800 block of East Lilly Lane. Value was estimated at $1,000.
• Thieves stole copper wire from an underground junction box at the intersection of Wolf and Palatine roads on an unknown date but reported May 6. The wire is from an existing traffic light circuit that is currently not being used. The intersection is under construction and temporary traffic lights are in use. It will cost the company approximately $4,500 to replace the wire and repair the light system.
• Thieves stole the driver's-side mirror from a 1999 Chevrolet Venture van on the 800 block of East Old Willow Road between 7 p.m. April 29 and 8:27 a.m. April 30. Value was estimated at $50.
• Daniel W. Powell, 22, of the 800 block of Red Oak Drive, Bartlett, was arrested around 4:50 a.m. May 3 at routes 19 and 59 and charged with possession of drug paraphernalia (metal marijuana pipe) and DUI after an officer reportedly found him slumped over the steering wheel of his car. The car was in the left turn lane on Irving Park Road blocking traffic and the transmission was in drive, reports said.
• Shelborn B. Johnson, 41, of the 4000 block of Club Tree Drive, Streamwood, was arrested around 7:45 p.m. May 5 outside his home and charged with local ordinance possession of marijuana after officers were called to his home because he had been drinking and was unruly, reports said.
• Gustavo Carrera, 18, of the 500 block of Wellington Avenue, Elgin, was arrested around 10:20 p.m. April 26 at Rice Park, 801 Linda Lane, and charged with local ordinance possession of drug paraphernalia.
• Burglars broke into a vacant home on the 300 block of Emerald between May 1 and 2 and stole copper pipe cut from water lines and cut from an air conditioning unit; they also stole a stove.
• Thieves stole a black and yellow mountain bike parked outside a home on the 400 block of Elderberry Lane between 3 and 3:10 p.m. May 5. The female victim was visiting an open house and had left her cellphone in a canvas bag on the bicycle.
• Burglars stole a purse containing cash and credit cards out of an unlocked 2008 Mercedes-Benz in an unlocked garage on the 0-100 block of Dorchester Court between 11:15 and 11:30 a.m. April 27. Value was estimated at $11,200.
• Thieves stole a gas-powered leaf blower and two extension cords out of a 2004 Dodge Ram pickup truck around 2 p.m. April 27 while the owner did landscaping work on the 900 block of South Park Boulevard. Value was estimated at $150.
• Thieves stole a smartphone valued at $299 between 3 and 7:48 p.m. April 27 after the owner left it on top of his backpack while shooting hoops at Glenbrook Park, 200 W. Greenmeadows Blvd.
• Vandals shot white paintballs that hit a sign at the entry to Anniversary Park, 164 LaSalle Road, around 5 p.m. April 28 and also hit playground equipment. According to reports, a resident across the street from the park said he has heard multiple pinging noises between 10 and 11 p.m. over the past two weeks.
- Share Facebook Twitter
Article sent to (required)E-mail
Article sent from (required)E-mail Name
Subject Line (article title)
Message (optional)Success - Article sent Click to close
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.
Contact information ( * required )Name * Company Telephone * E-mail *
Article InformationTitle URL
Message (optional)Success - Reprint request sent Click to close