2014 readers choice results
Article posted: 5/5/2013 5:00 AM

Household items can pose risks to pets

Buy this photo Buy this photo
next prev 2 of 2
   

An X-ray of Jack a dog who swallowed pennies, in New York. Hundreds of pets undergo surgery every year to remove items, including panties and bras from their stomachs and intestines.

Courtesy of BluePearl Veterinary Partners

Gallery Image

Jack, the dog, recovers from extraction surgery to remove 111 pennies from his stomach.

Courtesy of BluePearl Veterinary Partners

About this Article

A toy poodle that was rushed to the vet after swallowing a tube sock. A Great Dane that had to be operated on three times for eating his owner's shoulder pads. These are just a couple of examples of the emergency cases Dr. Karen Halligan has seen involving household items that seem harmless until an animal decides to munch on them.
prev next
    • An X-ray of Jack a dog who swallowed pennies, in New York. Hundreds of pets undergo surgery every year to remove items, including panties and bras from their stomachs and intestines.
    • Jack, the dog, recovers from extraction surgery to remove 111 pennies from his stomach.
    Galleries by Category