A Wadsworth family lost its home Tuesday evening after a grill being used to cook dinner started on fire and quickly spread into the house.
Firefighters with the Newport Township Fire Protection District responded to the initial call of a grill fire at about 5:30 p.m. at a home on the 14000 block of Juniper Court.
While en route, firefighters were updated that the fire had spread into the back of the two-story house, Newport Lt. Dave Emanuelson said.
A strong wind and a lack of municipal water in the area may have hampered efforts of firefighters, who called in 14 tanker trucks, all from different departments to help fight the blaze.
In this area of Wadsworth, homes use wells and septic systems, meaning there's no fire hydrants. The fire caused extensive damage and will likely be deemed uninhabitable, Emanuelson said.Copyright © 2014 Paddock Publications, Inc. All rights reserved.