The Lake County Veterans Assistance Commission will maintain office hours at various American Legion and Veterans of Foreign Wars Posts throughout Lake County in an effort to reach more veterans.
A recreational vehicle equipped with additional office space will be staffed with VAC service officers who will help veterans prepare claims with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
Contact information ( * required )
"Many veterans and their families don't know what services are offered, or the benefits that are available," VAC Superintendent Mike Peck said. "We will hopefully see an increase in awareness about our services, as well as increased participation by bringing our services to areas around Lake County."
This traveling program is a joint effort of the Evanston Vet Center and the Lake County VAC.
"This joint effort allows us to bring services to veterans in an environment where they may be more comfortable," Peck said.
The hours on Tuesday and Wednesday will be 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. and Saturday from 8 a.m. to noon. Hours are subject to change depending on amount of participation.
VAC traveling office schedule:
• April 30: Antioch Post 748, Antioch Senior Center, 817 Holbeck Drive, Antioch.
• May 7: Lakes Region Post 703, 703 N. Route 12, Fox Lake.
• May 11: Gurnee Post 771, 749 N. Milwaukee Ave.
• May 14: Lake Villa VFW Post 4308, 130 E. Grand Ave., Lake Villa.
• May 22: Samuel Schiera Post 7448, 1112 Sheridan Road, Winthrop Harbor.
• May 28: Mundelein Post 867, 145 N. Seymour, Mundelein.
• June 4: Round Lake American Park, 1170 111 N Main St., Round Lake Park.