DUPAGE COUNTY--With the recovery from flooding underway in DuPage County, the DuPage County Health Department offers helpful information to residents about mold, including clean-up procedures.
Our information includes a description of mold, how you can detect mold and general clean-up procedures. This information will help ensure that your home is safe and your family is healthy.
The Health Department does not recommend testing as a first step to determine if you have a mold problem. Reliable air sampling for mold can be expensive and requires expertise and equipment that is not available to the general public. If you can see or smell mold, you likely have a problem and should begin clean-up.
Here are some tips:
• Clean-up should begin after the moisture source is fixed and excess water has been removed.
• Wear gloves, mask and eye protection.
• Use soap, detergent or a commercial cleaner in hot water.
• Scrub the area that is affected by the mold. Use a stiff brush or cleaning pad on cement block walls or other uneven surfaces.
• Rinse cleaned items with water and dry thoroughly.
For complete mold information, please visit: http://www.dupagehealth.org/mold
For more information on the DuPage County Health Department, follow us on Twitter @DuPageHD or become a fan on Facebook.