Join Earth Day celebration with MCCD, Defenders
Submitted by Environmental Defenders of McHenry County
On Saturday, April 20, the Environmental Defenders of McHenry County will again co-sponsor the countywide Earth Day Celebration with the McHenry County Conservation District from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at MCCD's Prairieview Education Center, 2112 Behan Road, Crystal Lake.
The event is held both indoors and out, and will go on rain or shine.
A regular service by the Defenders at this annual event is the opportunity for people to bring in hard-to-recycle items. With the help of its partner, Chicago Logistic Services, the Defenders will accept electronics and small appliances — microwaves must be clean, no smoke detectors, no medical devices, no console TVs.
White block Styrofoam, packing peanuts, re-useable Bubble Wrap, Christmas lights, fluorescent tubes, athletic shoes, and household batteries also will be collected. A donation is requested to offset the cost of recycling computer monitors, televisions, and fluorescent tubes.
There will be a lot going on in addition to recycling:
• Live music by Square Drum Circle, Off Square Music throughout the event, with special musical performance by The Chickadees at 1 p.m.
• Puppet shows at 12:30 p.m. and 2:30 p.m.
• Join in a guided nature hike at 11:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m.
• Help out on a restoration service project.
• Get your Earth Day 2013 Patch. Youth group members can do activities and earn the patch at a reduced cost.
• Enjoy hands-on games, crafts and storytelling.
• More than 20 environmental exhibitors, including the Defenders' Make a Bag from a T-shirt station.
• Food and Beverage Vendors or bring your own "No waste" picnic lunch.
The Environmental Defenders of McHenry County is a 43-year-old not-for-profit citizen organization dedicated to the preservation and improvement of the environment. Recycling activities began almost from the organization's inception, because it was one of the best ways to handle the growing solid waste problem. It also served as a source of funds for the group's educational activities. For more information on the Defenders, visit www.mcdef.org.
- Share Facebook Twitter
Article sent to (required)E-mail
Article sent from (required)E-mail Name
Subject Line (article title)
Message (optional)Success - Article sent Click to close
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.
Contact information ( * required )Name * Company Telephone * E-mail *
Article InformationTitle URL
Message (optional)Success - Reprint request sent Click to close