Breaking News Bar
updated: 4/12/2013 9:05 AM

Cigarette-smoking man burned while using oxygen

hello
Success - Article sent! close
 
Associated Press

BETHALTO -- A southwestern Illinois fire chief says a man sustained facial and head burns when a cigarette he was smoking ignited oxygen from a tank he was using as a breathing aid.

The (Alton) Telegraph reports the man, described only as in his mid-50s, was injured Wednesday.

Order Reprint Print Article
 
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.
Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.

Contact information ( * required )

Success - request sent close

Fire Chief Rich Mersinger says the victim appeared to have suffered first- and second-degree burns.

The man was treated at the scene before being taken to an Alton hospital. His medical status is not immediately clear.

Mersinger considers the case a reminder that people should refrain from smoking when they're using oxygen or are indoors where it's in use. He says oxygen is a fire hazard.

Share this page
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.