An family poisoned by carbon monoxide in their Antioch home Monday morning was rescued in the nick of time by their daughter’s boyfriend.
Antioch emergency personnel were called to the home in the 1100 block of Bowles just after 6 a.m. after the boyfriend arrived at the home and could see someone slumped over on the floor through a window. When no one came to the door, he called 911.
“It was miraculous timing, perfect timing,” said Brian DeKind, chief of the Antioch Rescue Squad. “The fire department had some very high readings in the house. It’s by the grace of God that the boyfriend found them there and made the smart choice to call 911 and get everything started.”
Rescuers found four people unconscious within the home, as well as their dog.
Two adults and the oldest daughter, 22, were taken to Aurora Medical Center in Kenosha. The youngest daughter, 12, was taken to St. Catherine’s Hospital in Kenosha and then flown to Lutheran General in Park Ridge. All were treated in hyperbaric chambers to reverse the impact of the carbon monoxide.
Three were treated and released Monday. The youngest remained at Lutheran General.
The family’s dog was treated at the Antioch Animal Hospital.
Officials believe a boiler is to blame for the leak. The home did not have CO detectors, officials said.
In addition to Antioch fire and police, ambulances from Spring Grove, Grayslake and Salem assisted.
“You recognize how fragile life is and you know how close that family was,” DeKind said. “It was the perfect example of the right place at the right time and all the crews working together to get the job done.”Copyright © 2013 Paddock Publications, Inc. All rights reserved.