Breaking News Bar
posted: 1/16/2013 4:52 PM

Ex-Naperville school worker guilty of 4,500-pound copper theft

hello
Success - Article sent! close
 

A man who stole 4,500 pounds of copper from a school while working for Naperville Unit District 203 has been ordered to pay restitution of $3,400.

James Logan, 53, of Montgomery, pleaded guilty Monday to theft over $500. He can avoid the felony conviction if he completes a new "pretrial diversion" program for first-time offenders.

Order Reprint Print Article
 
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.
Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.

Contact information ( * required )

Success - request sent close

Police said it took Logan about nine months to remove 4,500 pounds of copper from a storage area under a set of bleachers at Naperville Central High School, though they weren't sure how he did it.

The former building and grounds employee was identified as a suspect while police investigated a theft of $1,000 from the district transportation center. He also was charged with that crime.

Logan was among the first 10 defendants accepted into a new program aimed at giving a second chance to first-time, nonviolent offenders. The program was launched last fall by DuPage State's Attorney Bob Berlin and is tailored to individual defendants.

In Logan's case, he must spend 10 days on work detail at the sheriff's office, write an apology to the school district, attend 12-step meetings for substance abuse, maintain employment, pay restitution of $3,400, and have regular contact with a program administrator.

Prosecutors said they would dismiss the case if he completes all components of the program within a year and isn't arrested on any new charges during that time. If he doesn't complete the program, he could face up to seven years in prison.

So far, the state's attorney's office has accepted 10 defendants into the program and turned down five. Fourteen applications were pending as of Wednesday, officials said.

Share this page
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.
    help here