Help keep RxBOX growing in the new year
DUPAGE COUNTY—With the amount of medications collected in the RxBOX program increasing each year, the DuPage County Health Department is encouraging residents to make a New Year's resolution to participate in RxBOX in 2013.
Launched by the Health Department in 2009, the RxBOX program has now collected a total of 26,282 pounds or 13 tons of medications in the past four years. Approximately 11,000 pounds—or 5.5 tons—of unwanted medications were deposited in 2012, compared to approximately 7,000 pounds during the previous year.
RxBOX is a free service offered to DuPage County residents by the Health Department, in partnership with a dozen municipal and county law enforcement agencies, to safely remove unwanted medications from homes, as well as keep prescriptions away from teens and contribute to a better environment.
Residents are encouraged to cleaning out their medicine cabinets in 2013 and drop off unwanted prescriptions at a participating police department that is convenient for them.
Studies show that every day approximately 2,500 teens get high for the first time on prescription drugs. A majority of abused prescription drugs are obtained from family and friends, including the home medicine cabinet.
RxBOX collects medications that otherwise might have been flushed down the drain or placed in the garbage. The materials are removed periodically from the RxBOX locations and safely incinerated by a contractor provided by the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency using state-of-the-art technology.
Residents can dispose of their old medications at any of the following RxBOX locations:
• Addison Police Department, 3 Friendship Plaza, Addison, IL 60101
• Bloomingdale Police Department, 2015 Bloomingdale Road, Bloomingdale, IL 60108
• Burr Ridge Police Department, 7660 S. County Line Rd # 1, Burr Ridge, IL 60527
• Carol Stream Police Department, 500 N. Gary Avenue, Carol Stream, IL 60188
• DuPage County Sheriff, 501 N. County Farm Road, Wheaton, IL 60187
• Glendale Heights Police Department, 300 Civic Plaza, Glendale Heights, IL 60139
• Lemont Police Department, 416 Main Street, Lemont, IL 60439
• Lisle Police Department, 5040 Lincoln Avenue, Lisle, IL 60532
• Oak Brook Police Department, 1200 Oak Brook Road, Oak Brook, IL 60521
• Schaumburg Police Department, 1000 W. Schaumburg Road, Schaumburg, IL 60194
• Wheaton Police Department. 900 W. Liberty Drive, Wheaton, IL 60187
• Wood Dale Police Department, 404 N. Wood Dale Road, Wood Dale, IL 60191
For more information on the DuPage County Health Department, follow us on Twitter @DuPageHD or become a fan on Facebook.
- Share Facebook Twitter
Article sent to (required)E-mail
Article sent from (required)E-mail Name
Subject Line (article title)
Message (optional)Success - Article sent Click to close
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.
Contact information ( * required )Name * Company Telephone * E-mail *
Article InformationTitle URL
Message (optional)Success - Reprint request sent Click to close