Feeling nostalgic for the music of the 1990s? Then go to Durty Nellie's this weekend for '90s Night, which will include tributes to such Clinton-era heroes as Sublime, the Beastie Boys, Weezer and 311.
9:30 p.m. Friday, Nov. 30, at Durty Nellie's, 180 N. Smith St., Palatine. $7. Go to durtynellies.com.
Get into the holiday spirit by checking out the "Jingle Bell Rock" show this weekend in St. Charles. The songs will be performed by 1980s hitmakers Eddie Money, John Cafferty and Edgar Winter.
8 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 1, at the Arcada Theatre, 105 E. Main St., St. Charles. $35 to $89. Go to oshows.com.
Shopping for music
Have a music lover on your list? Never fear -- there are plenty of box sets and reissues to choose from this holiday shopping season. Here are a few suggestions:
• The Velvet Underground, "The Velvet Underground & Nico," 45th Anniversary Super Deluxe Edition (Polydor) -- One of the most influential rock records of all time gets a lavish reissue with stereo and mono versions of the album and multiple bonus tracks, etc.
• Smashing Pumpkins, "Melon Collie & The Infinite Sadness" Deluxe Edition (Virgin) -- The Pumpkins shot into the stratosphere with the release of this 1995 double-album, which gets reissued Tuesday, Dec. 4, in a sprawling six-disc set.
• Michael Jackson, "Bad" 25th Anniversary Deluxe Edition (Sony) -- This reissue of the King of Pop's follow-up to his landmark album "Thriller" is loaded with live and unreleased tracks.
• R.E.M., "Document" 25th Anniversary Deluxe Edition (Capitol) -- R.E.M.'s stellar fifth album, originally released in 1987, was a transition point from the band's college-rock days to its future as a mainstream powerhouse.
• Sugar, "Copper Blue"/"Beaster" and "File Under: Easy Listening" (Merge) -- The entire catalog of acclaimed 1990s band Sugar, the second trio led by ex-Husker Du frontman Bob Mould, has been reissued with live and bonus tracks.