Breaking News Bar
updated: 11/23/2012 7:26 AM

Man pleads no contest in burglary of Jobs' home

hello
Success - Article sent! close
 
Associated Press

PALO ALTO, Calif.-- A California man accused of breaking into Steve Jobs' house and stealing computers and the Apple Inc. co-founder's wallet has pleaded no contest to burglarizing homes across the San Francisco Bay area.

Kariem McFarlin accepted a plea deal and was convicted Wednesday in Santa Clara County Superior Court on eight felony counts of residential burglary and one felony count of selling stolen property.

Order Reprint Print Article
 
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.
Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.

Contact information ( * required )

Success - request sent close

McFarlin was initially charged in August with one count each of residential burglary and selling stolen property after Jobs' Palo Alto home was broken into in July. He apparently didn't realize he was in Jobs' house until he saw a letter addressed to the Silicon Valley icon, who died in October 2011.

During the 15-hour overnight heist, McFarlin took the late Jobs' wallet and driver's license as well as iPhones, iPads, iPods, Mac computers, champagne and $60,000 worth of Tiffany & Co. jewelry, police said.

A stolen iPad ended up in the hands of Kenny the Clown, a well-known street performer who used it to play music during his acts before police came for it.

Police say the clown, whose real name is Kenneth Kahn, didn't know the iPad was stolen when his friend McFarlin gave it to him to repay a debt. The device was returned to Jobs' family.

Investigators from a task force eventually linked McFarlin, 35, to seven other burglaries in Alameda, Marin and San Francisco dating back to March 2011, the San Jose Mercury News reported (http://bit.ly/TcJ30 ).

Prosecutors in those other counties agreed to resolve all of the burglary cases in Santa Clara County, said Deputy District Attorney Thomas Flattery, who filed an amended criminal complaint Wednesday.

"I think it's a good outcome," Flattery said about McFarlin's no contest plea. "I think the case demonstrates a couple of things. Really, it's a good example of judicial economy and cooperation between the various counties to resolve everything at once.

"And it's also an example of the work a multi-jurisdictional task force can do to bring them all together."

McFarlin could face up to seven years and eight months in prison when he's scheduled for sentencing Jan. 17.

He could have received a maximum of 16 years and four months behind bars, but Judge Thang Nguyen Barrett offered to cap the sentence at seven years and eight months in exchange for McFarlin's no contest plea, Flattery said.

Police previously said the Alameda resident confessed to breaking into Jobs' home.

Share this page
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.