A small kitchen fire at a well-known downtown Glen Ellyn pizzeria was extinguished by the restaurant’s sprinkler system early Wednesday, authorities said.
Fire crews were dispatched to Barone’s of Glen Ellyn, 475 Pennsylvania Ave., about 4:40 a.m. for reports of a sprinkler activation, according to Lt. Craig Eldridge of the Glen Ellyn Volunteer Fire Company.
Firefighters discovered a fire in the kitchen had activated the sprinkler system, which successfully put out the fire.
A restaurant manager said some rags caught on fire. Damage to the restaurant was minimal and it was open for business as normal Wednesday evening.
Earlier in the day, fire company personnel and Barone’s staff worked to remove as much water as possible, Eldridge said.
No injuries were reported.Copyright © 2014 Paddock Publications, Inc. All rights reserved.