About 150 residents of Friendship Village in Schaumburg were displaced for a few hours late Tuesday afternoon after a small ceiling fire spread into an unoccupied apartment, authorities said.
The fire was reported about 4:30 p.m. in the C building of the retirement community at 350 W. Schaumburg Road and likely started as a result of workers soldering air conditioning units, according to Capt. Frank Chambers of the Schaumburg Fire Department.
The fire spread into the third-floor apartment but was extinguished about 20 minutes after emergency crews were called to the scene, Chambers said.
Residents were evacuated as a precaution, but they were able to return after fire officials deemed it safe.
Damage was contained to the attic and apartment, estimated at $5,000.
No injuries were reported.Copyright © 2013 Paddock Publications, Inc. All rights reserved.